Saturday, October 28th, 2017
Move Studios- #208, 4935-55 Ave
Folkloric Fusion (10AM to Noon):
This fun workshop will take you across the floor with combinations based in classic belly dance, stylizations, and maybe a little bit of jazz and street dance.
Lunch Break (Noon to 1:30PM)
Classical Choreography (1:30PM to 4:30PM):
This is a brand new choreography by Abby, making its premiere in Edmonton! Song details coming soon but you don't want to miss this beautiful piece! Check out Abby performing one of her choreos at Rakkasah.
Saturday Evening: Lecture and Discussion
Bedouin Beats- 11805-94 Street NW
THE MIDDLE EAST: A VERY BRIEF HISTORY (7-9PM):
Every belly dancer should know about the history and cultures of the Middle East, the region from which our dance comes. But it's easy to feel overwhelmed when researching this vast topic. This lecture is a fantastic overview of the political, social, and cultural forces that have shaped the region and influenced the development of professional belly dance. Please bring your notebook. Treats and drinks will be provided.
Sunday, October 29th, 2017 (Move Studios)
To the Core: Pilates for Bellydancers (9AM to 10AM):
We've all heard of having a strong core, but what does that mean? And why do we need it? We'll focus on exercises that can help build inner strength, greater range of movement that you can take with you into your daily life and dance practice. Please bring a mat.
Jazzy Funky Fresh (10AM to Noon):
Mix it up and fuse belly dance with street dance, old school hip hop, jazz, and more! We'll move and groove, exploring syncopated movement, unexpected musical accents, and challenging footwork. We'll also talk about some of the origins of movements that we're fusing, always staying respectful to the source.
Lunch Break (Noon to 1:30PM)
Three Hour Special - each section is 1.5 hours but is considered one workshop:
Space Travel (1:30-3pm):
Free your feet and get creative! In this workshop, you'll discover how to break out of the belly dance box and make unexpected traveling movements that you can use in your next performance.
Magical Musicality (3-4:30pm):
Music is at the heart of belly dance, and in this workshop, we'll explore creative ways to embody rhythm, instrumentation, and tone color. This is a movement workshop, but also bring a big notebook and some drawing utensils so that we can experience music in multiple modalities.
Workshop Payment Details:
Options for full weekend, one day, or individual workshops:
- Normal Full Weekend: $390.00 (Plus GST) paid in full after September 11th, 2017.
- Saturday All Day- 5 hours- (No lecture): $160.00 (plus GST).
- Sunday All day- 6 hours: $190.00 (plus GST).
Individual Workshops-mix and match the topics you are most interested in!:
- Folkloric Fusion and/or Jazzy Funky Fresh (2 hours): $75.00 each (plus GST)
- Classic Choreography and/or Three Hour Creative Special: $110 each (plus GST)
- Pilates for Bellydancers: $35.00 (plus GST)
- Lecture: $40.00 (plus GST)
How to Pay:
Starting June 1, 2017, you can use the following methods to pay.
- Etransfer to firstname.lastname@example.org- please include GST in your transfer and explanation of what you are registering for.
- Cheque made out to Leslie Holmes- please include GST and what you are registering for.
- Paypal (paypal fees and GST are included in buttons below):
- Payment plans are available- you are welcome to put down a deposit to secure your spot for the whole weekend (paying in 2-3 instalments).
- Please note that payments are non-refundable. Workshops may be transferred to another dancer based on registration (ie- full weekend workshop registration must transfer in full, not by individual workshop). Please notify Leslie if transferring registration.